top of page

Getting married in Spain: the paperwork 😍

Getting married in Spain can be a wonderful experience, but it requires proper documentation and legal processes. If you are a foreigner who wishes to marry in Spain, you will need to provide specific documents to the Spanish authorities. In this post, we will outline the documents needed to marry in Spain and explain why a "traducción jurada" is important for this process.

Documents required to marry in Spain 📃

The documents required to marry in Spain may vary depending on your nationality and your current marital status. However, in general, the following documents are required:

  1. Valid passport or ID card: A valid passport or ID card is required for identification purposes.

  2. Birth certificate: A birth certificate is required to prove your age and identity.

  3. Certificate of no impediment to marriage: This certificate is issued by the embassy or consulate of your home country in Spain and states that you are free to marry. It usually requires proof that you are not already married, such as a divorce certificate or a death certificate of a previous spouse.

  4. Residence certificate: If you are a resident of Spain, you will need a certificate of residency.

  5. Divorce or death certificate: If you have been previously married, you will need to provide a divorce or death certificate of your former spouse.

Why is "traducción jurada" important for these documents❓

The Spanish authorities require that all documents submitted for a marriage application be translated into Spanish by a "traductor jurado." A "traductor jurado" is a certified translator who is authorized to translate official documents. A "traducción jurada" is the official translation of a document, which includes a signed statement from the translator attesting to the accuracy of the translation.

Without a "traducción jurada," the Spanish authorities will not accept any documents that are not in Spanish. This means that if you submit a document that is not translated or is translated by someone who is not a "traductor jurado," your marriage application will be rejected.

In conclusion, getting married in Spain requires specific documents, and a "traducción jurada" is necessary for any document that is not in Spanish. It is essential to ensure that all your documents are translated by a "traductor jurado" to avoid any delays or rejection of your marriage application. By following these steps and seeking the services of a professional "traductor jurado," you can ensure that your marriage application process is smooth and successful.

If you're an expat in Spain who needs to translate official documents, our certified digital translation service can save you time, hassle, and money. With the Spanish law allowing digital signatures, our service is a convenient and valid solution that can make your life in Spain more comfortable. Contact us today for a free quote, and experience the benefits of working with a professional translation agency.


bottom of page